Concert hall - Redoutensaal （(Redouten Hall)， 建于300多年前
The Redoutensaal (Redouten Hall)
Built as an opera house in 1705 under Emperor Joseph I, grand baroque operas were performed in the Redouten Halls. In 1748 Maria Theresia commissioned Jean Nicolas Jadot to redesign this part of the Hofburg. The festival halls were the venues for many concerts, "Redoutes" (masquerade balls), as well as for the magnificent wedding banquet of Joseph II and Isabella of Parma.
Ludwig van Beethoven’s 8th Symphony as well as Franz Schubert’s Symphony Nr. 8, in B-minor "Die Unvollendete" (The Unfinished) premiered here. The composers Josef Strauss and Franz Liszt conducted concerts in these glamorous halls, and a number of smaller Mozart operas were performed here.
At a public masquerade ball in the Redouten Hall one Carnival Monday on March 3rd 1783, Mozart performed „Masquerade“ during an intermission- a pantomime piece with music that he had written himself.
At the wedding of Archduke Franz and Maria Theresia in the Redouten Hall, Antonio Salieri arranged the Tafelmusic.
On March 29 in 1828 the famous master of the violin Niccolo Paganini performed a concert and the Empress, Archduke Charles and Archduchess Sophie honored him with their presence.
Also in the large Redouten Hall Otto Nicolai conducted a „Grand Concert“ on March 28 1842 hosted by the „entire orchestra personnel of the K. and K. (=Royal) Court Opera Theatre“. This foundation of the "Philharmonic Academie", as it was originally called, is rightfully considered to be the birth hour of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (Wiener Philharmoniker).
After a fire in 1992 the rooms were renovated, whereas some parts were restored true to the original and others were furnished with modern technical equipment for conventions. 1998 saw the reopening of the Redouten Halls. The large Redouten Hall was designed by painter Josef Mikl, who in the 1950s created the gestic painting style together with Wolfgang Hollegha and Markus Prachensky, as part of the Austrian Avantgarde. The murals in the large Redouten Hall show Mikl’s depictions of scenes by his favorite writers Elias Canetti, Johann Nestroy and Ferdinand Raimund. Invisible to the viewer, Mikl has handwritten 34 verses of the poem „Jugend“ (Youth) by Karl Kraus on the 404 square meter large ceiling fresco.